THE OTHER WORLDS OF H. BEAM PIPER
BY H. BEAM PIPER
The collected short story to novella length works by H. Beam Piper that are not part of his "Terro-human" future history.
• Time and Time Again - After a blast in a nuclear war, Alan Hartley wakes up thirty years earlier in his own 13-year-old body. He sets out to make his father President so as to avoid the terrible wars which devastated his previous future.
• The Mercenaries - A team of Free Scientists working for the Philadelphia Project (the Western Union's moon project) is threatened by a traitor.
• The Answer - Research into "negamatter" leads to a startling discovery about the start of a nuclear war that happened fifteen years earlier.
• Hunter Patrol - Many men have dreamed of world peace, but none have been able to achieve it. If one man did have that power, could mankind afford to pay the price?
• Crossroads of Destiny - A discussion about a TV show which shows how events in history might have happened differently is joined by a man who is actually from an alternate reality.
• Day of the Moron - It's natural to trust the unproven word of the fellow who's "on my side" - but the emotional moron is on no one's side, not even his own. Once, such an emotional moron could, at worst, hurt a few. But with the mighty, leashed forces Man employs now.
• The Return - The isolated little group they found were doing fine - but their religion was most strange - and yet quite logical!
• Dearest - A powerful short story about an old soldier, greed and a mysterious being.
• Flight from Tomorrow - At the last moment of his overthrow, a ruthless dictator steals the only time machine and goes back to ancient (our) times to establish a new empire. But he brought with him more than just bad habits.
• Operation R.S.V.P. - Bombs, guided missiles, bacteria: none is as deadly as a glib-tongued diplomat.