Anachron, Inc. and Other Stories
- Category: Uncategorised
ANACHRON, INC. AND OTHER STORIES
BY MALCOLM JAMESON
Thrilling science fiction adventures from Malcolm Jameson, author of "Bullard of the Space Patrol". This collection features the Anachron Trilogy of time travel stories, one of the earliest to introduce the concept of the multiverse and the first to use the term "time track" to describe the parallel time lines. Includes:
• Anachron, Inc. - Anachron, Inc. were merchants, not missionaries. They were traders whose outposts and trading stations were established across time from Egypt’s glory to Modern America. But Barry’s station was medieval France, and his goods were umbrellas and — miracles to order!
• Barrius, Imp - A sequel to “Anachron, Inc.” A tale of business — a peculiar sort of business — and ancient wrongs where laughing gas and sudden death are crossed up.
• When Is When? - It’s pretty hard for a man to get into real trouble with a time machine on hand to yank him out of it. But Anachron Inc. was missing several groups of agents — agents that vanished into nowhen!
• The Sorcerer's Apprentice - Sometimes the simplest and most reasonable request brings astonishing results.
• Murder in the Time World - “They can’t accuse me of a crime when there is no evidence that it has been committed,” said Karl Tarig. So he sent the body of the murdered man into the future. But he didn’t realize the truth of the adage: Time will tell!
• Seaward! - Two rival chemists — two rival governments — inorganic vs. organic chemistry and — the sea!
• Dead End - Trellick catches up with the past–whereupon the past neatly turns the time-tables!
• Philtered Power - This is why, no doubt, love-philters, power-getters and magician-alchemists in general went out of style. An indubitable and scholarly — if slightly hilarious — discussion.
• Tricky Tonnage - Tricky indeed. A very neat system of transportation it made, too — but it led to some slight difficulties with rocks that floated and roads that sank!
• Joshua’s Battering Ram - The Sonomagnet was an air-conditioner salesman’s dream of perfection. There wasn’t an office in the torrid city of New York that could afford to get along without it. But, like most other things in an imperfect world, it had its little faults.