FEDERATION AND EMPIRE
BY H. BEAM PIPER
The collected short story to novella length works from H. Beam Piper's "Terro-human" future history. This edition covers the Federation and Empire periods. Includes:
• The Edge of the Knife - A professor who can see the future tries to convince those around him of their impending doom.
• Omnilingual - How can archaeologists translate a dead language found among the ruins of a lost civilization, on an alien planet?
• Naudsonce - A first-contact story concerning communications with beings who hear and speak, but don't seem to convey information through set words.
• Oomphel in the Sky - Since Logic derives from postulates, it never has, and never will, change a postulate. And a religious belief is a system of postulates ... so how can a man fight a native superstition with logic? Or anything else...?
• A Slave is a Slave - There has always been strong sympathy for the poor, meek, downtrodden slave-the kindly little man, oppressed by cruel and overbearing masters.Could it possibly have been misplaced...?
• Ministry of Disturbance - Sometimes getting a job is harder than the job after you get it -- and sometimes getting out of a job is harder than either!
• The Keeper - Raud the Keeper protects a millenia old treasure on an Earth that is poor and forgotten among the empire of the stars.
CLICK HERE to see the scale model that is featured on the cover of this book.